Visitation & Adoption by APPOINTMENT ONLY!We reserve the right to refuse adoption/foster for ANY and NO Reason
- WILLINGNESS TO RESEARCH, LEARN, CARE FOR AND LOVE A DOOKER ♥♥♥
- Applicants MUST be 20 years or older. We will sometimes consider adopting to younger people, but in these cases, the parent or guardian must also complete the application process, and the parent/guardian must be the legal adopter and want to be totally involved in the ferrets life as well. DDDFR reserves the right to determine when this will take place.
- Applicant must be adopting the animal for himself or herself, as a pet. We will NOT adopt out animals as gifts for others, or to be used for research, zoos, etc. These are precious pet animals only.
- Applicant must provide a veterinary reference. We need to know that you have a vet who is capable of caring for ferrets and their special needs. If you do not have one, DDDFR can recommend one and will follow up on their vet visit.
- Applicants must demonstrate a THOROUGH understanding of the needs of the animals they are intending to adopt. Please do the research FIRST! If you are not sure about something, please ask us. We are more than willing to work with you to help you learn more about the animal you want to adopt. As long as you are willing to work with us and to learn, we will be glad to adopt to you when we feel you are ready.
- In some cases, we may require a home visit prior to final adoption approval. If you rent, please provide a letter on company letterhead stating that ferrets are allowed. If you own a home the mortgage state must be presented for the shelter director to see at the time of your appointment (no copies are made by DDDFR).
- Applicant must be able to provide financially for any animals they wish to adopt. We will not ask you how much you make, however, veterinary care for ferret's can be very costly, especially as a dooker gets older and develops the diseases or cancers and you must be able to meet this financial need. A health check and vaccinations usually run $100-$150 depending on your vet. Remember, ferrets need to see the vet for a yearly checkup and Distemper & Rabies shots are needed just like a cat or dog.
- We do not adopt to homes with children under 6. It is hard enough to keep track of a young child, let alone a young child and ferret(s). We want to protect both the child and ferret(s).
- Adoptions are by appointment only.
- If you have ferrets, they need to come to the shelter to choose their buddy. YOU do not get to choose (maybe make a suggestion)-they do. Your parents didn't chose your friends--the dookers get to choose theirs.
- We do NOT ship ferrets! We adopt to people in the Western Washington area that can personally visit our shelter. People who live in neighboring states, within driving distance, may be considered if you provide a valid veterinary reference (we will check), personal references and a valid drivers license. Valid phone numbers for references are required.
- You must have the cage, food, water bottle, food dish, blankets, or towels, hammocks, sleep sack, nail clippers available and/or set up at your home to make the dooker feel comfortable and be cared for properly when he/she goes to your home. (This lessens the stress of changing living quarters) You also must have a comfortable, safe carrier to take the dooker home in.
- The Board of Denise's Delightful Dookers Ferret Rescue will review your information and contact you if we have any questions or need something clarified.
- If all goes well, we will arrange an appointment for you and/or your ferret to visit the shelter and meet the ferrets here.
- Denise's Delightful Dookers has an adoption donation for all animals located in our shelter. Cash or PayPal are the only accepted methods of adoption donations.
Adoption donations are as follows:
Up to 4 yrs of age - $90
4 yrs of age and older - $60
- There is a discount when adopting multiples.
- We do not break up bonded ferrets.